Tuesday, May 15, 2012

And the Cradle Will Rock by Van Halen



This might be one of the best just turn it up, hit the gas pedal songs you will ever hear. Here is a stereotype or two for you. I was driving to my eye doctor's late this evening, he stays open late on Tuesday evenings, to get my glasses fixed as I had sat on them. Why had I sat on them? Because when I take them off and set them down I cannot see them.

So here I am in my mid forties, late forties, with old bones, eyes that do not work anymore and a litany of aches and pains. One thing I do know though is a great rock song when I hear it. With all the different permutations of Van Halen over the last twenty years it is easy to forget or hard to remember just how great a band they were from the late seventies to the mid eighties.

Everything worked. They rocked.

They never were better than on this song. How many times as you heard David Lee ask " Have you seen Jr's grades? " have you slid the volume up waiting for the guitars and drums to crash back in.

When you hear this song turn it up, even if you can still hear it fine at low volume. This song needs volume and if your like me it will take you back to a time when the future was unknown and the idea of being a suburban parent car pooling kids seemed as likely as, well, as likely as Van Halen still existing thirty years later only Eddie having a plastic hip, no teeth, and having kicked out Micheal Anthony to replace him with his son named Wolfgang. Sometimes my friends the truth is stranger than fiction.

That is alright. As we get older we learn that little turns out as we expected. That is why we relish a song like this. Great then, great now, some things, thankfully, do not change.

No comments:

Post a Comment