Thursday, May 17, 2012

Donna Summer Dies



Today we learned of the death of Donna Summer. If you were alive in the seventies and old enough to know what was going on you know who Donna Summer was. The queen of Disco. Looking back at Disco we all grimace and claim that we were among the few sane folks who never embraced it.

I cannot say that. My excuse is good one. At Donna Summer's peak I was thirteen years old. Certainly not the age to be held responsible for your musical tastes.

Tonight in honor of Donna Summer I played Bad Girls and Hot Stuff on Spotify. Donna Summer recorded a great deal of music after 1979 but for most of us when we think of Donna Summer, this is what we think of.

Here is a memory I have. My eighth grade prom. This was at the height of disco or perhaps it had peaked and as most things do it had come late to coastal Maine. All I know is I have strong memories of wearing my suit from Sears, a shirt with a butterfly collar, pinning a corsage on a girl named Amanda and dancing. It really was not dancing. All the rhythm I carry could be kept in a thimble. But some approximation of moving my legs back and forth passed for dancing, Donna Summer sang to us about Bad Girls and sad girls and later during Greased Lightning the strobe lights made me dizzy.

It was a great night. Donna Summer was clearly a memorable part of it. Rest in peace Disco Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment