Thursday, May 3, 2012

Wishes and Stars by Harper Simon



As we watched the first episode of HBO's Girls when the credits rolled this song was playing. It was one of those situations that those of us who love and follow music find ourselves in often. I asked my wife what that song was. Neither of us knew. I asked her if it was Paul Simon. It was not a song I knew but it sure sounded like him.

Being the technological wizard that I am I pulled out my cell phone, brought up Shazam and, was advised that this was not Paul but Harper Simon.

I remember when Julian Lennon released Valotte and in our twenties we were all shocked at how much he sounded like John. I guess we should not be. The apple in these cases does not fall from the tree. Athletes beget athletes, singers beget singers, and teachers beget teachers.

We should not be surprised.

What is remarkable is how rarely these songs of legends in music have careers that last a long time. Harper Simon has been making music for a long time. He is not a kid. His voice is strong, his lyrics work, and yet I had never heard his music before this appearance over the credits of this show.

I consider myself open to new music, I actively search it out. Truly how some folks become stars and talent such as this stays under the radar shows just how much luck is involved with success in the music business.

For those who want to hear something new that sounds like something you enjoyed before, take a listen to Harper Simon. He is very talented.

No comments:

Post a Comment