Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Apartment

This movie was a huge success winning Best Picture in 1960. A strong cast in this movie from Billy Wilder. I must admit that I found the cast to be strong, especially Fred MacMurray playing against type as a womanizing executive.

However I also found the movie to be unsettling and depressing. Jack Lemmon plays CC Baxter a young executive who has somehow allowed senior executives to use his apartment as a den of adulterous behavior.

Rising steadily through the company due to his flexibility with the executives Baxter is infatuated with an elevator attendant in the company played by a young and to me surprisingly attractive Shirley Maclaine. She however is currently the most recent girl on a string of the filandering HR Director played by MacMurray. Growing up watching him playing the Dad on My Three Sons made this a shock to the system.

A well done movie. An interesting story with some humor. Still as I find this shocking and unsettling, I can only imagine how this movie played in Middle America in 1960. Jack Lemmon is a wonderful actor but this movie was no hit for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment