Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Rock Center With Brian Williams

In earlier posts it has become quite sure that I like Brian Williams. So I was quite certain that I was interested in this new Newsmagazine. What I am not interested in is one of these week by week murder mysteries that shows like Dateline and 48 hours became.

In this first episode we see Richard Engel sneak into Syria to tell us not so much about the protests, but jow a few brave souls are sneaking out video footage of what is going on behind the wall placed on Western journalist. Williams had a ardonic look at airline boarding and a small chat with Jon Stewart which bordered perhaps on too familiar.

The highlight of the night was Harry Smith's story on Williston, North Dakota. An oil boomtown the story was told as Harry Smith said in a Steinbeckian way . It was fascinating to see these lost souls rolling the dice at a chance for success, living in tents, washing up at Walmart, and hoping that this time life works it out.

I think this show will get better, be more crisp and make great use of the great cast of reporters. That said, even as it is, I will always give Brian Williams my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment