Friday, November 11, 2011

Lost in Translation

We visited my wife's Mom tonight. She is surely not your stereotypical mother-in-law. She is a wonderful lady who I love dearly. She showed us a movie she had got from Netflix by accident. Of course I am not sure how it got into her list by accident but she is technologically challenged like me only amplified by twenty years.

So now that we had the movie she asked us to watch it with her and I was fine with that. I had heard much of the movie which was up for multiple awards in 2003. Bill Murray, as funny as he is, is also just absurd enough to pull off this role. Scarlet Johannsen, 18 at the time, is a picture of attractiveness and vulnerability. Sofia Coppola directed this movie and won the Oscar for screnplay.

The story explores issues of loneliness and alienation. Murray an aging actor has agreed to do a Japanese liquor commercial for two million dollars. Scarlet plays a young woman, married to a celebrity photographer who is questioning who she is and essentially what she wants to be.

Through a chance meeting the two become odd acquantences and exerience a week of ever growing closeness but never pull the trigger on sex.

The folks I watched the move with did not like it. It was slow moving and not quite Oscar worthy by my standards either. Still Murray is a great actor, his character was deep and his attempts to treat this attractive girl with respect while keeping his own mid life crisis at bay.

An interesting movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment