Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Suicide of a Superpower by Pat Buchanan

I like Pat Buchanan. I am sure I am not supposed to. Yet I do. He is clearly a Conservative and I am not. Yet when reviewing his positions they are in some cases very similar to mine. I do not go party line on issues and find that in issues I feel conservative on Buchanan mirrors me.

I did not read all of this book. The first 75 pages were enough to make clear what Buchanan was selling. Culture divergence, wars, entitlement spending is killing us. I think anyone looking at Washington would have to agree.

For me the most important chapter was the solutions section. First we must find that while Obama is certainly not a racist he is, besides being ill prepared to b
e President, not one who understands middle America. He could not stand up for Unions yet he does not understand the frustrations of the average frustrates white man or black man,

The national debt is fueled by welfare and warfare. We will always argue about what we should do with those who need help. Easier however is to realize our military is a giant boondoggle. We borrow money from Japan to protect Japan. We do the same for Europe. We borrow money from China to send foreign aid to countries that then vote with China against us at the U N. We have 700 to 1000 bases in 130 countries. How is this justifiable. It is a colossal waste.

The troops we have in Europe serve what purpose exactly? Do we really think the Russians are invading?

Most important to me, and to people who would like me to stop harping on it is Economic nationalism. Buchanan lays out the simple reason that a tariff is needed. It has to be set up in such a way to force companies to make things here. This is still the biggest market in the world. Germany, China, and everyone else might make noise but no one will leave this market. And should they start a trade war they will miss our imports much more than we will miss our exports. We can make what we buy but as my friend Brad says who would China sell all fheir crappy Walmart merchandise to?

For some reason being seen as Pro American is seen as being lowbrow and simplistic. I do not think so. Only a person who hates himself can not love his country. I surely do not believe in.my country right or wrong but there is a reason we are hurting in this country. It all starts with the cultural divide. Pat is right about that too.

This is all unlikely to gain any traction. Both the right and left worship at the alter of free trade. It is however, nice to see someone articulating an idea that puts America first. Even if it is old crazy Pat Buchanan

No comments:

Post a Comment