Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Drive By Truckers

I like to think that I keep up with music. I am sure I do. I have heard about The Drive By Truckers for years. Still, there is only so much music to hear, if radio does not play them. Even WKIT, Stephen King's station ( he is a big fan of theirs ) does not play them.

Another great reason to endorse Spotify is that it is a new version of radio. Now on Facebook your friends can tell you what they listen to and you can try it out. I do not Facebook and have no plans too. I do endorse Spotify however.

The Drive By Truckers are a great band. Much has been made about them being a party band. They are. They are also much more than that. Some of their songs are as affecting as anything I have heard.

Immersed in their Southern culture they do not hide their roots, they stand in them with firmly planted feet. Yet this is not just redneck music. They can do that bit, but much of their music is deeper than this, though the references to Mustangs do seem to add up.

I am in no way an expert, having just found them, I am listening to songs here and there. Thus far songs such as Self Destructive Zones, Everyone Needs Love, Outfit and Three Alabama Icons serve as a pretty strong indication of how good their music is. It is literate and well bred.

Perhaps Three Alabama Icons best tells the story of the bipolar nature of Southern culture. Perhaps it tells the nature of not only the South but all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment