Monday, November 7, 2011

Nightwoods by Charles Frazier

I read and loved the book Cold Mountain. It was a book that felt like it was written a century ago. Not just for the subject material, being about the Civil War, but in the style of it's writing as well.

For whatever reason Frazier has not been able to follow up his first novel successfully. Perhaps it is true that there are just so many ideas for so many books but Frazier writes this book like a Lifetime movie. Perhaps the best way to describe it is if I had not read who wrote this I would never have taken this to be a book written by a man. Now Frazier is in good company. I was convinced for a long time that Stephen King has Tabitha writing a few of his books years ago, the Dolores Claiborne, Rose Madder phase. Still while it might well be a quirk of mine I do not want to read a book touted as having a bit of a bend toward being literary if not literature and read a woman in danger book.

The characters are broad and not that well written. Just a bad vook. 150 pages in and I had to remind myelf I was under no ovligation to finish. That qas my best choice all day. A bad book .

No comments:

Post a Comment