Friday, January 8, 2010

The Art of Pink Floyd

I have been listening to a great deal of Pink Floyd lately. When were kids of course we all listened to The Wall but at least as a teenager I did not really appreciate the music. Here in middle age Animals. Wish You Were Here and of course Dark Side of the Moon all have gotten better with age. The music is not easy but it is essential. My itunes collection bulges with so much music that at times hitting Shuffle All Songs is the only way to decide what to hear. However hitting Pink Floyd and shuffle never fails to bring about great music.

And yes I have done the Wizard of Oz/ Dark Side of the Moon trick. At times certain events certainly do match up. My son watched it with me and wanted to believe it was " on purpose." I cannot imagine that it was as with an album it would be much harder to match up.

Certainly a band releasing albums with just five songs such as Wish You Were Here was a band willing to trust their audience would follow them. On that album two of those songs were the two part Shine on You Crazy Diamond their tribute to Syd Barrett.

For those who have followed them for a long time and for those still today discovering their music it is a journey well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment