Friday, January 29, 2010

Bob Dylan - Pledging My Time

I love Bob Dylan. I think, without a doubt, the greatest songwriter of his era. The recent Dylan recordings with the raspy voice approaching 70 years old still have merit. In the late 90's his Time out of Mind CD won awards and more. That was a great album topped for me by the epic 16 minute long Highlands as Bob meanders his way through a free association riff. Uncountable songs are legendary with their stories, tales and rhymes. An underrated one of these would be " Brownsville Girl" where Bob repeatedly returns to tell the story about a movie with Gregory Peck. Only Bob could do that and have you singing along.

At an age far south of 10 my son could sing the first verse of Highway 61 much to his Mom and Sunday school teachers dismay. But for very personal reasons the song that always makes me smile is Pledging My Time from Blonde on Blonde. Why. It is simple for me, its the harmonica. i love to play but have no real talent for it, those that can play have my respect and jealousy. When Bob plays this song I riff with him between each line. Covered by Bobs talents mine blends in pretty well. I know the song and I have a better idea how to play. For a moment I am with Bob. What is any song but an escape.

Now if we could get the dog to stop howling when I hit the high notes.

I love Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment