Monday, January 25, 2010

Field of Dreams

How many times have you seen this movie. In our house it is well into double figures. Everyone knows the story, Kevin Costner, James Earl Jones, Ray Liotta and Burt Lancaster made the movie star filled but it is the story, always the story. My children, boys and girls have always enjoyed the movie.

As with many men of a certain age the movie has a profound effect on me. It has for 20 years. It has the ability to choke me up. For me " the scene " , I do not have to tell you which one, makes me cry everytime. My Dad gone for over 25 years fills my heart whenever I see it.

A couple of weeks ago I got a text from my son asking me if I was watching Field of Dreams. It was on CMT. Who would have ever thought it would end up on Country Music Television. He told me to hurry it was almost over I was going to miss " it." I did not have to ask what " it " was. Men know. I watched it, my eyes watered and I remembered all that was good about childhood.

My son is 14 and we have played baseball together far more than my Dad had time to play with me. Will he think of me years and years from now when this movie comes on. I think he will. I think I am ok with that. I hope he remembers that the more things change between fathers and sons the more they stay the same. I hope he shares it with his son.

Few movies can have this generational impact. For that reason alone Iowa must be heaven.

Rating : 8.5

No comments:

Post a Comment